Friday, November 7, 2008

A Few Days Later

So, it has been a few days after the election and while I am not surprised by the reaction of most, I am appalled at the reaction of some. As I browsed my facebook and myspace pages I witnessed comments that made me wonder why I befriended many of my "friends". I have no problem with people that do not believe that President Elect Obama should be the next President of the United States of America, but I do take issue with those that take their hatred, and I will even go as far as to say racism to such a level that begs the question, "How far have we really come with race relations in this country"? I thought it was thoroughly researched and disproved that President Elect Obama was not a terrorist. I thought it was confirmed that his name was Obama and not Osama. The most frightening and disturbing thing to me is the people that believe that because the PEOPLE voted for President Elect Obama that it somehow signifies the end of this experiment that we call America. News flash, it doesn't. As far as politics go, I believe that I am somewhat entrenched in the middle. I am a registered Democrat. That being said, I believe the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored. I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability. I believe, free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity. I believe government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn. I believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least. I believe the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people. I believe Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times. I believe Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world. And for those of you that have not realized it yet, these are all supposedly REPUBLICAN principles. To be truthful, I would probably be a Republican if and only if (IFF, shootout to Kuhar) the Republican party actually believe these core values. However, it seems to me that the Democrat's believe in this more so than their counterparts. Now some of you may question why, if I believe that the government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn, and that the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, did I vote for a Democrat that voted for the Financial Rescue Plan and raise taxes on those making over $250,000. Well as it turns out, the private organizations cannot handle the critical function of keeping our country from financial ruin, or educate our young people, or many other issues that if I mention will turn this blog into a novel. In order to accomplish the things that need to be accomplished the money needs to come from somewhere, and though I am not for raising taxes, if it helps our country, The United States of America, reestablish itself as the best country in the world, then I am all for it. Hell, you can even raise my taxes even though I don't make anywhere near $250,000. While I would hate to have less money in my checks it may afford me, down the line, the ability to provide my children with a solid education, or start my own business when this credit crunch is over. But I digress, this originally started as me stating how I feel about peoples overt or blatant racism on the social networks, so I will return to that. In closing, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. You should be proud that America, my America and your America, has come to a point where it is even possible to elect a black man to be president of the United States of America. He is not a terrorist. He is THE American Dream. While some of you are concerned with his possible connections to terrorist's and the like seem to gloss over the fact that Sen. McCain has been liked to domestic and foreign terrorism as well (Email me for further details if necessary). And for those of you that are afraid of the name Barack Hussein Obama, I will end with this, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet".

No comments: